FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, March 11, 2015
News Media Contact:
Office of Public Affairs, 202-482-4883
U.S. Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker today announced the names of the American and international innovators, visionaries, and thought leaders participating in the 2015 SelectUSA Investment Summit, March 23-24. Among the executives speaking at the event will be Eric Schmidt, Executive Chairman of Google; David Rubenstein, Co-Founder and Co-CEO of the Carlyle Group, the world’s largest equity firm; and Toshiyuki Shiga, Vice Chairman of Nissan Motor Co. They are just a few of the many impressive domestic and international executive-level speakers and panelists who will be at this year’s Summit.
“I am pleased so many global business leaders have agreed to participate in the 2015 SelectUSA Investment Summit,” said Secretary Pritzker. “A growing number of global companies are realizing there has never been a better time to invest in America. Our fair and stable business environment, low energy costs, commitment to research and development, and strong intellectual property protection make the United States the best place for businesses to invest. I am thrilled to have these companies represent the best of the best in business, and share their thoughts on how the United States can maintain and expand its position as the top beneficiary of foreign direct investment worldwide.”
The Summit will bring together senior U.S. officials, international investors, economic development organizations (EDOs), local elected officials, and academics to explore and advance investment opportunities all around the United States.
Other executives confirmed for the Summit include:
- Norman Anderson, President and CEO, CG/LA Infrastructure
- Carl Casale, President and CEO, CHS Inc.
- Vijay Chandru, Chairman and CEO, Strand Life Sciences, (India)
- Frederico Fluery Curado, President and CEO, Embraer (Brazil)
- Robert Engel, CEO, CoBank
- Gururaj (Desh) Deshpande, Chairman, Sparta Group LLC
- Thomas J. Donohue, President and CEO, U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Paul Hudson, President, AstraZeneca US (United Kingdom)
- Sara Menker, Founder and CEO, Gro Intelligence
- Nancy McLernon, President and CEO, Organization for International Investment (OFII)
- Michael McNamara, CEO, Flextronics
- The Honorable Thomas Nides, Vice Chairman, Morgan Stanley
- Takeshi Niinami, President and Board Member, Suntory (Japan)
- Nicolás Rubio de Cárdenas, US President, Cintra
- Pete Selleck, Chairman and President of Michelin North America (France)
- René Steiner, CEO USA, Bühler
- Lars Rebien Sørenson, CEO, Novo Nordisk (Denmark)
- Eric Spiegel, President and CEO, Siemens USA (Germany)
- Ofra Strauss, Chairperson, The Strauss Group (Israel)
- Robert Tibbs, Entrepreneur, Chairman and CEO, Forbes Digital Commerce
- Ludwig Willisch, President, BMW North America (Germany)
Summit participants will also hear a special message filmed by businessman, investor and philanthropist Warren Buffett describing how the business environment in the United States has contributed to his long-term success.
Foreign direct investment (FDI) plays a critical role in the U.S. economy, which is why President Obama launched SelectUSA, the first-ever U.S. government-wide initiative to promote and facilitate investment into the United States. Through 2014, SelectUSA helped generate more than $20 billion of investments in the United States, investments that have been instrumental in creating jobs and spurring economic growth. In 2014, 5.8 million people in the United States were employed by U.S. subsidiaries of foreign firms.
The SelectUSA Investment Summit will be held at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center just outside Washington, D.C. The event is nearly at capacity, with 2,500 people from nearly 80 countries registered—doubling the size of the inaugural Summit that was held in 2013. More than 30 U.S. ambassadors are personally leading delegations to this year’s Summit, up from three ambassadorial delegations in 2013, reflecting growing interest in this event. To learn more about the SelectUSA Investment Summit, visit www.selectusasummit.com.
Journalists can register by clicking the “Media Registration” button at selectusasummit.com/registration/.
About SelectUSA: Housed within the U.S. Department of Commerce, SelectUSA promotes and facilitates business investment into the United States by coordinating related federal government agencies to serve as a single point of contact for investors. SelectUSA assists U.S. economic development organizations to compete globally for investment by providing information, a platform for international marketing, and high-level advocacy. SelectUSA also helps investors find the information they need to make decisions; connect to the right people at the local level; navigate the federal regulatory system; and find solutions to issues related to the federal government. For more information, visit www.selectusa.gov.