FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, November 5, 2009
CONTACT OFFICE OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS
Secretary Locke Announces Winners of Presidential Export Awards
Twenty-one companies that excel at exporting were honored by U.S. Commerce Secretary Gary Locke today as recipients of the prestigious 2009 Presidential “E” and “E Star” Awards during a ceremony at the National District Export Council Conference at the Department of Commerce. The “E” Award is the highest U.S. government recognition any U.S. entity may receive for supporting export activity.
“I’m a great believer in the ability of American companies and workers to compete anytime, anywhere in the world, on a level playing field. We’re here today to honor the people, firms, and organizations that produce and promote U.S. goods and services that support American jobs,” Secretary Locke said. “Trade has always been crucial to American prosperity. But, in today’s difficult economic times, with other drivers of growth like consumer spending flagging, it’s even more important for American industry to take advantage of every opportunity for export-driven growth.”
The Presidential “E” Award was created by President John F. Kennedy in 1961, to recognize persons, firms, or organizations that contribute significantly to increasing United States exports. The Presidential “E Star” Award recognizes continued superior performance in increasing or promoting exports. The International Trade Administration, which seeks to improve the global business environment and help U.S. firms to compete and win both at home and abroad, manages the award program that has recognized more than 2,500 firms since its inception.
The 2009 “E” Award recipients are:
- Automation International Ltd., Houston, Texas;
- Capstone Turbine Corporation, Chatsworth, Calif.;
- Falcon Waterfree Technologies, Los Angeles, Calif.;
- J.R. Potter & Associates, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio;
- Kanawha Scales & Systems, Inc., Poca, W.Va.;
- Lexington International, LLC, (HairMax), Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.;
- MacNeil Automotive Products, Ltd., Downers Grove, Ill.;
- Medtronic Inc., Minneapolis, Minn.;
- Otis McAllister, San Francisco, Calif.;
- Rust-Oleum Corporation, Vernon Hills, Ill.;
- Sioux Corporation, Beresford, S.D.;
- Southwest Windpower, Flagstaff, Ariz.;
- The Produce Connection, Miami, Fla.;
- Turbine Air Systems, Houston, Texas;
- California Chamber of Commerce, Sacramento, Calif.;
- Illinois SBDC and NAFTA Opportunity Centers, Peoria, Ill.;
- West Virginia Development Office, International Division, Charleston, W.Va.
The following companies are the 2009 “E Star” Award winners:
- Dometic Environmental Corp., Pompano Beach, Fla.;
- Valmont Industries, Inc., Omaha, Neb.;
- BDP International, Philadelphia, Pa.;
- Enterprise Florida, Orlando, Fla.